Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The road to Monopolis

Last week saw the first of what I hope will be a monthly quasi-narrative Ogre campaign. We had six players, including me--and a couple were new to Ogre. The scenario was a holding action by the Monopolis city militia some 100 kilometers from the city. The defenders needed to hold out as long as possible to keep the attacking gray force from driving up the road to Monopolis.
Combat was quickly joined, and devastating to the combatants and the countryside. I had set up a few town hexes. The players quickly learned that city fighting can be brutal. They also learned that overruns in Ogre are even more deadly.
The fighting in this small town grew intense, as the defenders fell back before the advancing Mark V Ogre. Meanwhile, conventional units were racking up their own casualty counts.
The defender's Mark III wasn't able to do much damage to its larger cousin, but it gave a good staredown from one hex over.
In the end, the attackers pushed out the defenders and left the small town in flames. The players remarked on how lethal the game is for armor units. The round counters indicate where tanks and GEVs were destroyed. The playing mat was littered with these tokens at the end of the game, but everyone had a good time.
I plan on running another scenario as a sort of sequel to this one next month. I look forward to playing again, with new and old players.

4 comments:

Colgar6 said...

More Ogre mayhem goodness! I pity the people who live in the town, however. Or anywhere else within a day's travel of the battlefield...

Tiny Basement Wars said...

That Ogre looks awesome. I've only played the Microgame version with tiny little cardboard counters. Seeing a version with miniatures makes my head start spinning!

Maj. Guiscard said...

I do like how your games emphasize the huge amount of collateral damage the future weapons inflict. It's kind of like an action movie WITH EVEN BIGGER EXPLOSIONS!

Looks like a fun game.

Desert Scribe said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad my setup conveys the destructive power of tactical nukes on the battlefield.