Saturday, May 4, 2019

Raid on Monopolis

Week before last, I brought all my Monopolis gear to Dragon's Lair for a game of Ogre. We had four players (two each attacking and defending); the scenario was an all-cybertank force raiding the city for unknown reasons. The attackers consisted of a Mark III, a Mark V, and a Ground Effect Ogre. Each model had its own target to eliminate, assigned randomly, along with one objective that any of the attackers could claim. The attackers also got points for blowing up other things, like town hexes and enemy tanks and infantry.
The great thing about this game was that other players had their Ogre minis painted up, so with the exception of some specialized units, I didn't have to break out all my own castings. James and Walter played the defense, with James's green and blue conventional units. Wes and I played the attackers, with him taking the Mark V and me taking the Mark III and the GEO.
My III's target was the prison, Ghódurek Lítu Jail. A few shots later, and that hex was nothing but rubble, achieving our first objective. It paid a price, though, as revenge-bent conventional units soon shot off all the Ogre's weapons, forcing it to flee the battle.
The GEO's target, the House of Government, was further back and well protected by troops and artillery. It even had the Monopolis Emergency Response Department on hand. Some poor dice rolling and poor targeting decisions on my part meant that this objective survived the battle.
In addition to my kitbashed hover Ogre and the emergency response vehicles to put out fires (repair damaged hexes on a roll of 5 or 6), I had some armored boats on the map.
In previous games those aquatic units didn't make much of a difference, but they did in this battle. The boats ended up chasing down and destroying the GEOgre as it tried to escape back down the river.
Over on the other side of the city, Wes's Mark V blazed a trail of destruction through the outskirts of Monopolis.
The big cybertank clawed through defending armor to take out our side's main objective, the Electric Company, plunging the city into darkness (and raising everyone's rates to pay to rebuild it), as well as another neighborhood it had been programmed to destroy.
So with three out of four targets enrubbled, along with additional real estate and defending armor destroyed, the machines had a good day. However, they took a lot of damage, including the loss of the GEO, meaning the Ogres' victory was a marginal one.
Another exciting game, as you can see from the before-and-after pictures. It had been a while since I'd played, so I'm glad I brought Ogre out for a spin again.
Next game, I think I want to use the train as an objective. Time to start planning a new scenario ....

No comments: