Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Some old-school Ogre

Every now and then it's fun (and a lot less hassle) to play some hex-and-counter Ogre. We did that a few weeks ago using my classic counters on old paper maps I have from when I first got some metal minis sets.
The first game we played The Black Knight scenario from the Ogre Reinforcements set (and also from Scenario Book 1, I think). I played the Combine forces, at the opposite end of the map from my opponent's PanEuropeans. In between, a renegade Ogre Mark III run by a third player. Since the Ogre was closer to me, it headed my way. I gave the cybertank a beating, but between the Ogre and the enemy humans, I was pretty much wiped out. And after I did all that hard work, the human player finished off the Ogre and won the game.
Our second game was the advanced Breakthrough scenario. Two of us took the PE defenders (white counters) while the third player ran the attackers (black GEVs). Note the Structure Point counters, which make ideal camouflage markers atop the other units--something hard to do with the variable-shaped tokens of Ogre Designer's Edition. In this game, the attacker remained spread out, and could never muster enough force (thanks to some abysmal dice rolls) to break through our defensive lines. He ended up losing all but one of the GEVs.

A good time, getting back to the basics of wargaming.

4 comments:

Maj. Guiscard said...

OGRE!!!
I always had a soft spot for the GEV Cav.
Spread out, but concentrate quickly

Back to the fundamentals indeed

Desert Scribe said...

GEVs are fun if you play them right. But I learned the hard way that spillover fire can be nasty if you don't keep your guys dispersed.

las said...

Nice. Makes me want to play. It's been a month or more.

Hey, I see infantry in the craters. No units can enter those hexs.

Desert Scribe said...

Good catch. In this case, the scenario let infantry hole up in the craters.