Friday, January 9, 2015

We got a great big convoy

I never did manage to grab the Last War Set 1: Convoy back when Steve Jackson Games was  still producing miniatures for Ogre. But now, thanks to the great customer service at Dibble's Hobbies in San Antonio, I have some 6mm trucks to use with my three-dimensional Iron Mountain Map and other Ogre scenarios that require transport vehicles.
Dibble's, a local hobby legend, carries microarmor as well as other gaming minis, so I went there on the off-chance that the store would have some transport vehicles in 1/285 scale.  I thought about ordering online, but I want to support my local shops, and I'm also an instant gratification kind of guy.
I didn't find anything on the store's shelves, but when I told the owner what I was looking for, he went into the back and brought out a dusty old ammo box filled with a modern microarmor collection that someone had sold to the store some time ago.
Bingo! He and I picked through that container and found a number of transport vehicles, all painted, and for a very reasonable price. I ended up with two HEMTTs, six deuce-and-a-halfs, and four larger trucks that I'm not sure what they are (in the center above).
These models came with a pretty nice paint job. All I need to do is paint the windshields and give them an ink wash, and they'll be ready to roll.
And they fit in well with the Ogre minis, which as you can see are pretty big compared to the trucks--which makes sense, because in-universe that Jaeger is a heavy tank compared to the MBTs of the early 21st century. And putting a duce-and-a-half next to a Mark V shows you how massive those cybertanks would be in real life.
So who wants to play out Iron Mountain and see if that convoy can make it across the map?  Big Ben, this here's the Rubber Duck, and I'm about to put the hammer down ....

7 comments:

Nobody667 said...

Awesome find! I am sure you will have all kinds of uses for those trucks.

Kudos to supporting a brick and mortar store. It's something I need to do more often as well.

Gonsalvo said...

Great score, Mack.

Breaker 19, I think you got your "Seven long-haired friends of Jesus in their Chartreuse Micro Bus" right there, too!

Don M said...

Nice haul there oh the bigger trucks are 5 tons. basically
a super duce and a half.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry to post off topic but wanted to stop in an say thanks for letting your honey bunny know that I was looking for her.

BROODE said...

Jeff is awesome! He always is willing to help you find the mini, model or game you're looking for. If he can't find it for you, it simply isn't made. I need to go visit Dibble's soon and say "Hi" to him and his sister Joanie, plus I'll get him to order me some X-Wing expansions.

BROODE said...

"So who wants to play out Iron Mountain..."

Are you doing anything Sunday? I'm off and I'd be willing to give it a go, that is if you don't mind playing against someone that hasn't played OGRE since the 80s.

J Womack, Esq. said...

Next time I am in San Antonio, I suppose I need to find my way to Dibble's.