a campaign game involving starships and space battles, but what about adopting the Five Powers setting to another string of linked combats: a role-playing game?
While Traveller seems like the obvious choice, I think it would be fun to stat up the various starfaring species for Dungeons & Dragons.
In fact, you could derive an entire setting from the SfW background, basing the characters on already-existing classes from the B/X version of the game:
- Terrans: 12" move; no special abilities; use fighter experience table
- Entomalians: 9" move; two weapon attacks per round (they have four arms) + paralyzing stinger; vulnerable to smoke/poison gas; use elf experience table
- Carnivorans: 12" move; +1 strength, +2 constitution; use dwarf experience table
- Aquarians: 12" move (18" in water); amphibious; use magic-user experience table
- Avarians: 15" move; +1 dexterity; use cleric experience table
I envision exploring a world that was the scene of a massive battle decades ago; battered starship hulks litter the world, waiting for adventures to recover valuable technology (or plain ol' loot) from within ancient wrecks guarded by unsleeping automated defenses or now occupied by strange creatures from this or other worlds--a high-tech dungeon crawl.
Would such a world be worth exploring? What about importing some of the Five Powers to a traditional D&D setting? I will explore that idea a little more in the coming days.