Wednesday, February 4, 2015

New edition of GEV announced?

Awhile back, I pontificated on a hypothetical new edition of the pocket-sized version of GEV, the sequel to the microgame Ogre. At the time, I didn't think such a product would ever hit the market.

Now, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Steve Jackson Games announced yesterday that it is considering releasing Pocket GEV late this year or sometime next year. No other details, except that it will probably have a retail price of $9.95.

In order to keep costs down, I doubt they will include any unit that wasn't in the earlier editions of GEV. This means only light tankes and mobile howizters (in addition to the Ogre units also found in GEV). Still, I'd like to see light GEVs and Superheavy tanks added to the counter mix. But who knows--we have some time to speculate.

I will certainly get a copy or two. Anyone else plan on buying this game when it comes out?

UPDATE: SJG exec Phil Reed says they're considering it, but nothing's set in stone. So take this all with a grain of salt.

5 comments:

CounterFett said...

I'd buy this for sure if it came out. And, I want to go on record as saying I would buy several copies if they ever re-released 'Battlesuit.'

J Womack, Esq. said...

I'd buy both GEV and Battlesuit.

 Ashley said...

My response: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I have one other word to say: miniatures. Colour me bland.

Desert Scribe said...

Ashley, personally, I have all the minis for this game that I could ever fit on the map for a single scenario (except for some Combine light tanks, which I didn't get because they weren't in any of the boxed sets). However, I can understand your bitterness over the all to brief reintroduction of the Ogre miniatures lineup.

P.S. Did you get my second email regarding 5150: Star Navy?

 Ashley said...

If you mean the one with the PDF, which I still intend to reply to, then yes. If not then no. Still working on the article and need to re-read the new rules and then compile a succinct review. My plan is if I have time to write a full review for the review section, but time etc means I don't know when.