Friday, January 8, 2021

At least one miniature a week

Last year was a shitshow, for so many reasons, and then 2021 said, "Hold my beer and watch this." No in-person gaming, of course, and I was not very productive when it came to minis or terrain or even this blog. So in order to motivate myself and keep my mind off current events, I decided I will paint at least one miniature a week this year. 

Here's the result for week 1: a female martial artist from Reaper that's been sitting primed in my closet for several years. It's not an award-worthy effort--I paint to a tabletop standard, where figures look good at arm's length or more--but it's done. Completing this figure to where it can go on the mat gave me a sense of accomplishment (and material for this blog).
My gaming buddies are able to crank out mini after mini, week after week, but it's harder for me. I don't know whether it's laziness or a short attention span, but my eyes are bigger than my concentration when it comes to painting gaming miniatures. So I'm gonna use this weekly showcase to get in the habit and inspire myself, and hopefully my fellow gamers.

I don't have to be a great painter of miniatures. I just have to paint. The more I apply pigment to figure, the easier it will become. See y'all next week.

7 comments:

Marc said...

That's a good goal - keep it up!

pancerni said...

One a week is a good goal. You may find it a gateway number.
BTW, the figure looks good. Tart up the base to showcase your work. Just a couple of pebbles, or some flock. Seeing what you did for your Ogre games, you will do well.

Gonsalvo said...

Nothing wrong with the Lady at all. You'd probably get more done with a small group of figures at a time - even as little as 6. While the paint is drying on one, you work on the other

Viscount Eric said...

There is is nothing wrong with a figure a week. My personal goal is at least an individual figure plus a group/small unit each month. Still have two more space dwarves to finish my unit requirement, and the solo fig has a few half completed minus for me to finish.

Of course my latest purchase of sci fi half tracks is already throwing a monkey wrench into my plans.

Desert Scribe said...

Thanks for the support, everyone! I plan on adding more paint and some rocks to the figure base, and great point about working on more than one mini at a time. Here's hoping I can shrink the pile of unpainted minis!

Teddy KGB said...

That’s the approach I’m trying to take. I have the worst attention span so going mini to mini helps me stay on track.

Maj. Guiscard said...

I tend to paint in batches.
I'll go all out for 2 to 3 weeks, and then nothing for a couple of months.

I wish I could get more consistent. Maybe doing a fig a week, I would maintain a pace.