Monday, September 27, 2010

Regulus IV: The early years

OK, it doesn't look like much now, but in a few billion years the planet should be really liveable ...


My upcoming Galactic Knights game on Nov. 12 at Millennium Con involves a planetary assault.  Therefore, I need a planet.  I figure a hemisphere placed on the playing surface would look better than an entire sphere; a half-globe will make the starships on the hex board look like they're orbiting around the planet's equator.

I had planned to get an ordinary educational globe, separate it into two halves, take one hemisphere and repaint it, but I don't have a spare one around the house, and globes don't come cheap. 

I found large styrofoam spheres at Hobby Lobby, but they were expensive and I don't have the proper tools to make an accurate cut.  I then went to Michael's and found this styrofoam hemisphere.  It's a little smaller than what I'd originally planned on having, but it's cheap and already in the shape I need.  Now I just have to paint it.  I'll post some pics when I get around to painting the hemisphere.

2 comments:

maxmike said...

I'm really lazy. I just go to Walmart, and buy one of the huge plastic bouncy balls that are usually on sale for a couple bucks. I get out a really sharp craft knife and carefully cut along the mold seam till I have two hemispheres. Since the balls are often a mottled of swirl pattern, I get an instant planet which I occasionally enhance by putting it on a ring made from cardboard or by adding smaller "moons" from one of those Solar System mobiles you find around.

Desert Scribe said...

I'm scared I might cut myself if I try that :) Sounds like it would make a nice gas giant. Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days ...