Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A few of my favorite posts

With a few of my favorite starships.
I started this blog because I wanted to see more material about miniature starship gaming. I kept doing it (off-and-on) because I enjoy it. I'm obviously pretty happy with what I post to Super Galactic Dreadnought. Still, there are some posts that I'm especially proud of:

In order to learn more about the game and the minis I enjoy, in 2011 I emailed Scott Spicer, who worked with his father Ron Spicer to sculpt the Starfleet Wars models for Superior Models. Scott graciously responded with an essay about the creation of those fantastic sculpts that gave new insight into this line of miniatures.

I took a multi-part, up-close look at the rules that I had originally derided as too complicated. Turns out the game play is pretty elegant, and this review inspired me to run and play several games of Starfleet Wars, including a short-lived campaign.

My very own  published starship combat rules, co-authored with Ed Teixeira of Two Hour Wargames. The Star Navy ruleset was the result of playtesting, revision, and more playtesting. I had a blast developing this game with Ed, and I'm really happy with how it came out. 

I got to play the version of the game that introduced me to roleplaying--Dungeons & Dragons. I DM'd for a group of players who hadn't sat down for some good old-fashioned dungeon crawling for years--or even decades. I got to create and run my very own attempt at a megadungeon. Although it was only a few sessions, it was fun while it lasted.

Those are some of my favorites. Readers, what about you? Any posts on SGDN that really stood out for you?

3 comments:

Gonsalvo said...

Good ones; I missed the piece by the asst sculptor for the SFW/GK models, and really enjoyed reading that!

Sean said...

Just caught up with the blog and wanted to congratulate you on 5 years of blogging. Hard to say what my favorite post is. Of course I come here for the awesome space craft, but I also like the Warhammer/ Oldhammer stuff. Star Navy has been languishing over here. Just another thing I need to swing my attention back too. So many games, so little time.

SirDonzer said...

Congrats! I love your blog! It convinced me to start my own blog:

http://sirdonzersgames.blogspot.com/

(Its just so I can post my own gaming ramblings...)

It gets me to thinking I have to get back to active gaming!

Keep up the excellent blog!