Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Walking Dead

I'm just now viewing the second season of the AMC cable series The Walking Dead, thanks to video on demand.  Gotta say, it's a great show, and I'm enjoying it.  I'm also noticing how it makes me want to play All Things Zombie, especially since that game is so true to the zombie apocalypse genre, as a recent playtest showed.  Or maybe, with the way the survivors are screwing each other over in season 2, the TV show is a good emulator of Ed's wargame.  Either way, I'm looking forward to watching more of The Walking Dead.

By the way, have you noticed how TWD never refers to the undead as "zombies"--the characters refer to them as "walkers" or "geeks."  It was the same way with the movie that launched the whole genre, Night of the Living Dead--that film refers to the shambling corpses as "ghouls."  Likewise, in the Will Smith version of I Am Legend, the in-movie newscasts reference "darkseekers."

So in your own games that utilize the undead overrunning the modern world, how do you refer to them?  Just zombies, or something else?

2 comments:

BROODE said...

I still have to finish watching my copy of season 1 and buy season 2. Ah, All Things Zombie - welcome to the dark side of wargaming ;-) I usually refer to zombies as "zeds".

jmezz382 said...

Just a fun game genre. Who doesn't like the underdog scenerios