Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tutorial: Painting a Terran Ship


I've been asked about my painting technique, so here's a quick tutorial for how I paint my Terran starships.  First, I prime the ship with flat black spray paint (no hobby store brands; I just use Rust-Oleum or Krylon from the local hardware store):

Next, I drybrush the ship in the darkest color of the tripartite scheme I'm using.  Again, no special game store paints; just craft paints from hobby stores.  In this case, for the Terran Red Fleet, I start out with Anita's brand Rust Red (which actually looks sorta brownish to me):

Next, I drybrush the intermediate hue.  Here, it's a much brighter True Red from Americana:

Finally, the last color, lightest of the bunch.  Here, the Metallic Antique Copper from Folk Art gives a nice glowing effect to the ship:

It's not gonna win any awards, but I paint to a tabletop standard--and this ship looks pretty good on the tabletop:
My three-color drybrush technique is a quick method that allows me to field large numbers of starships on the gaming table.  But it's not the only way to paint.  What are some of your methods of painting your spaceship miniatures?

5 comments:

Sean Robson said...

Cool paint job. The rust colour scheme makes the ship look REALLY old, like something that was salvaged after floating, adrift, in an asteroid field for millenia.

Desert Scribe said...

Thanks, Sean! I didn't think about conveying a sense of age till you mentioned it, but you're right, it does.

Keep an eye out tomorrow for a step-by-step lesson in painting Entomolians.

Dan Eastwood said...

I used the "accidentally spill paint" method for some Carnivorian Cruisers, detailed here, and it turned out OK. I am not actually recommending that method! :-)

Desert Scribe said...

Thanks, Eastwood. Your pink Panthers came out pretty cool. Unfortunately, the link in your comment didn't come out at all, so I'm reposting it here: http://giantbattlingrobots.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-panthers-and-few-dropships.html

Dan Eastwood said...

Oops! thanks for the HTML rescue!
-Dan