Sunday, February 13, 2011

On the workbench: Star Frontiers ships

I have some of my recently acquired Star Frontiers ships based and ready for primer--a destroyer, a frigate, a freighter, and two scouts:

The battleship's not ready yet; it had some lead rot and I want to clean it off before I mount it.  I also had some trouble with the destroyer at first--the engines had fallen off! 

I needed to fix it; however, Gorilla Glue alone wouldn't do the job, so I used rods (actually parts of a paper clip I separated using wire cutters) to help hold the engines in place:

Just two rods weren't enough, so I added a third.  Since this is the underside of the ship that goes permanently on a base, I'm not to worried about how it looks from below:

With this experience using glue and rods, I'm slowly gaining the courage to attempt to repair the Carnivoran battlecruiser I broke.  Maybe soon ...  after I base the other half-dozen frigates and scouts.

3 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Good scratchbuilding/repair skills tnere my friend. Nice models aswell.

Desert Scribe said...

Thanks, AL! I'm looking forward to getting these painted. The larger ships will match the ones that I've already painted, but I may get a little creative with the color schemes for the smaller craft.

Deryn Naythas said...

it's a nice serie of minis, with great looking! congratulation for the scratchbuilding!