Saturday, January 14, 2012

My own private forest

Do you think I have enough trees?  :-)

I collected all my miniature trees in order to cover up the white flocking most of these Christmas decorations came with.  (At lower left you can see the container for one of the potted shrubberies is broken from me knocking it onto the floor--don't worry; I glued it back together.) 
However, almost half of the trees were very unbalanced, with a vary narrow wooden base making them easier to tip over.  To fix that, I glued metal washers to the bottom of the stands, giving them a lower center of gravity and a wider base.
I then sprayed the trees with a light coating of a multicolor/textured brown paint, followed by an evergreen sort of color.  They came out looking much less wintery, but I think I need to drybrush some additional shades to make them look more natural and less uniform.
I also need to paint and flock the bases.  I'm not going to bother with any texturing--the bases will usually be unseen by players looking down onto the table, and why expend effort on something no one will see?  Besides, I'd obsess too much and take too long getting it just right, so I'm heading that off by telling myself, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."  I want to get these trees ready for the tabletop.  What's everyone else working on this weekend?

1 comment:

J Womack, Esq. said...

Nice one. I have quite a few of thses snow flocked trees sitting about, waiting to be de-winterized. I was going to try the warm water method, but heard it was messy and took off a good deal of the dye. I think I may just try your spray can method on a few. The white flock could just as easily become green flock, right?

Thanks for the tip.

This comment brought to you by the word 'pirchot.'