Monday, June 18, 2012

Real-world OGRE/GEV maps

The discussion in this thread on the Steve Jackson Games discussion board for OGRE/GEV turned to suitable city maps for the game.  This reminded me that over the years, several OGRE fans have used satellite imagery to create maps of real-world locales in the game's 1500-meter-per-hex scale.  Interestingly, even though most OGRE scenarios take place in Europe, these are all cities in the United States.

NOTE: In order not to bloat my file limit, I shrunk these maps before uploading them here.  The originals are very high-resolution; click on the city name for links to the original files.

BOSTON MAP:
DULUTH MAP:
SAN FRANCISCO MAP:
I've never used any of these maps in play (because I'm cheap and don't want to waste my printer ink or pay a copy store to print them out), but I bet it would be fun--and brutal, what with all that city fighting.  I wonder if anyone has created such a map for the city of Houston ....

4 comments:

Nagora said...

We used to play Ogre on a map of Stalingrad. Fantastic fun.

J Womack, Esq. said...

How do you overlay the hexes? I want one of Houston, too. And I have access to a color engineering plotter. 2' x 200'.

Desert Scribe said...

J.Womack, I think there's a tutorial with the SF map, or you could just do an overlay in Photoshop.

P.S. If you do print out a map of H-Town, could you send me a copy?:)

Evyn MacDude said...

Man that SF map brings back memories. Played on it soon after Keith made it.