Monday, November 22, 2021

Monopolis second session (MillCon Day 2)

My second Monopolis game had a little poorer turnout, because I didn't decide to do it until well after electronic registration closed. I figured there was enough demand for another session, and running them back-to-back meant just setting up once and breaking down once. I decided to leave in the craters from the previous game, building a new road and replacing some of the destroyed town hexes with parkland.

Just five players for the evening game, and since the last one was late because of car trouble, I got to participate as one of the defenders for long enough to launch a nuke on some unsuspecting GEVs. 
The final player showed up soon after that, and I was back to refereeing the game. Once again, lots of Ogre-on-Ogre action, with the small guys as kind of an afterthought.
That Doppelsoldner is a beast, with its two mains, eight secondaries, and three missile racks. Because of all the cybertanks running around in this scenario, I warned the players at the start of the game that any time one side ended their turn with more than a single Ogre in a hex, their opponent could call in an off-board cruise missile.
The attackers didn't care, as they needed to cross a ford west of the city guarded by the green Mark V. Lucky for them, they shot down the incoming cruise missile, and it didn't detonate. They also made mincemeat out of the defending cybertank, which at least allowed me to use my Ogre hulk.
They had also destroyed the defending laser implacements, and managed to launch a second cruise missile, which they detonated above the river, rubblizing most of downtown.
The game was pretty much over at this point, but the attackers wanted to get off their second nuke, which levelled the eastern suburbs for a near total destruction of Monopolis. This game was obviously a victory for the attackers, pyrrhic as it may have been. 

So I handed out more prize support, packed up with the help of my brother, and went home late Friday night. It was a long day, and hosting back-to-back games wore me out, but I'm glad I did the second event.

1 comment:

Gonsalvo said...

Back to back (more or less) eliminates one session each of set up and take down, for a little redistribution between games,. so definitely a time and effort saver!