Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Fantasy Trip has arrived

My copy of The Fantasy Trip, part of a Steve Jackson Games Kickstarter, arrived this past weekend, and the box is huge! Not Ogre Designer's Edition huge, but huge nonetheless. The box contains, in addition to the role-playing rulebook, In The Labyrinth, the two pocket games that started it all: Melee and Wizard, along with the Death Test solo adventure and its sequel.
I received electronic copies of everything as part of the Kickstarter campaign, so I've had a chance to play these games recently. Still, it's nice to have the actual physical components, including fold-out-maps and counters in the smaller boxes. And the main box also has a four-panel GM screen that gives you plenty of room to put all your notes, while the landscape orientation makes it easy for you to see your players.
And there is a whole box of die-cut hex geomorphs, suitable for putting together your own labyrinth. Although I find the Heroscape tiles more aesthetically pleasing, these chipboard map parts are much more convenient to transport and assemble.
I'm glad I bought this, and I look forward to spending more time In The Labyrinth.

5 comments:

Wouter said...

I never heard of the game, though I have played Steve Jackson games before. Is this a D&D like setting?

pancerni said...

Played the originals, sadly lost to mildew. I know you are going to have a blast.

Alec Semicognito said...

I've got mine! This is going to be great.

Desert Scribe said...

Wouter, it started out as a very tactical skirmish game, now that serves as the basis for a fantasy RPG. You can find out more at The Fantasy Trip.

I'm looking forward to playing some more.

Wouter said...

Thanks a lot for the link!